N.F.O.E. | 100e

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Period 1912-1965

Period 1965-1990

Period 1990-2012

  • 1912-1917 Barott, Blackader & Webster
  • 1917-1935 Barott & Blackader
  • 1935-1944 Ernest I. Barott
  • 1944-1946 Barott, Marshall & Montgomery
  • 1946-1957 Barott, Marshall, Montgomery & Merrett
  • 1957-1958 Barott, Marshall & Merrett
  • 1958-1961 Barott, Marshall, Merrett & Barott
  • 1961-1962 Barott, Marshall & Merrett
  • 1962-1965 Marshall & Merrett

Rosemere High School

1965, Rosemere, Quebec

Stirling Hall

Queen's University

1964, Kingston, Ontario

Built between 1962 and 1964, this distinctive round building located on Bader Lane was originally meant to be situated on the lower campus between Kingston General Hospital and Theological Hall. Well publicized protests from students, faculty, and alumni upset with the rapid pace of campus development, however, led to the preservation of that area as a green space.

A notable feature of the building is a Foucault Pendulum, which hangs in the centre of the second floor. The pendulum swings in a pattern and at a speed determined by the rotation of the earth and the latitude of Kingston.

The building is named after John Bertram Stirling, a Queen's graduate, an engineer, and businessman of international repute, and eighth Chancellor of Queen's (1960-1974).

Clark Hall

Queens University

1963, Kingston, Ontario

Montreal Star III Building

1961,

Lindsay Place High School

1960, Pointe-Claire, Quebec

Bank of Montreal

1960, Montreal, Quebec

Leonard Building

Queen's University

1959, Kingston, Ontario

Ellis Hall

Queen's University

1958, Kingston, Ontario

Beaconsfield High School

1958,

John Rennie High School

1956,

Gordon-Brockington House

Queen's University

1954, Kingston, Ontario

Beaver Hall Building
 

Bell Telephone Company of Canada

1929, Montreal, Quebec

Aldred Building

1929, Montreal, Quebec

Hudson's Bay Company Store

1925, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Vancouver Terminal Station

1913, Vancouver, B.C.

Credit Foncier Building

1913, Vancouver, B.C.

  • 1965-1972 Marshall & Merrett; Stahl, Elliott & Mill
  • 1972-1975 Marshall, Merrett, Stahl, Elliott, Mill, Ross
  • 1975-1976 Marshall, Merrett, Stahl, Elliott
  • 1976-1977 Merrett, Stahl, Elliott
  • 1977-1980 Stahl and Elliott
  • 1980-1986 Stahl & Nicolaidis
  • 1986-1988 Stahl Nicolaidis Fukushima Orton
  • 1988-1990 Stahl Nicolaidis Fukushima Orton + David Reich

Rhône-Pulenc Rorer Canada Inc.

Extension and alterations to manufacturing facilities, cafeteria, head offfices, and exterior re-cladding

1985, Montreal, Quebec

Gross Area : 

 

Expansion : 13,000 sq. ft.

 

Renovation : 57,000 sq. ft.

 

Construction Cost : $ 3,900,000

 

This challenging project called for renovating and relocating departments within a two-storey concrete flat slab structure built in the early 1950’s with only 11’-0” floor to floor headroom. The objective was to relocate, and update to HPB and cGMP requirements, the pharmaceutical production department from the second floor to the first floor. This had the additional benefit of achieving horizontal product flow directly into existing packaging and warehousing facilities. The first floor administration department was relocated and expanded on the second floor. The construction was multi-phased in order to maintain ongoing operations during the entire construction period. The entire building envelope was re-clad with insulation, metal siding, new windows and a new roof for energy conservation, economies of maintenance and image enhancement.

Burroughs Wellcome Inc

Head offices, cafeteria, laboratories, manufacturing, packaging and warehousing facilities

1982, Kirkland, Quebec

Gross area: 20,040 m² (215,700 sq.ft.)
Construction Cost : $ 16,000,000
Sterile Production facility Class 100, 1000, 10 000 (11,400 sq.ft.)
 
Tablet Manufacturing Facility Class 10 000(10,200 sq.ft.) 
 
Third floor addition for expansion of head offices
Kirkland, Quebec
Year completed: 1989
Gross area: 3,065 m² (33,000 sq. ft.)
Construction Cost : $ 3,000,000

This pharmaceutical complex consists of manufacturing, packaging, warehousing, quality control laboratories and the Canadian head office facilities of Burroughs Wellcome Inc.  Architectural services commenced with programming, site research, feasibility studies and estimates, and ended with building commissioning.

The manufacturing plant consists of three departments, segregated to prevent cross contamination for production of tablets, liquids and ointments, and sterile topical and injectable products.  The entire sterile 1115 m² (12,000 sq.ft.) suite is serviced by a reinforced concrete interstitial floor where all mechanical and electrical services can be maintained without entering the sterile areas, such as replacement of HEPA filters and re-lamping lighting fixtures.

In 1989, the office and quality control building were expanded by the construction of a third floor, providing an additional 3065 m² (33,000 sq.ft.) of space.

 

 

Botterell Hall

Queen's University

1979, Kingston, Ontario

Cost : $ 13,300,000

An imposing structure of 275,000 sq.ft. on twelve levels, Botterell Hall brought together the disper-sed facilities of the biological and medical sciences at Queen's University. In addition to Faculty administration areas, classrooms and undergraduate teaching labora-tories, the building accommodates the biological sciences library, and offices and research laboratories for anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, biomedical engineering, cancer research, biochemistry, pathology and microbiology. It also houses the anatomy museum, clinical laboratories and audio/visual services.

Ronald C. Burr Wing

Health Sciences Centre Kingston General Hospital/Queen's University

1977, Kingston, Ontario

Cost:$ 5,000,000
As one of the new buildings integrated into the Health Sciences Centre, this wing accommodates Department of Rehabilitation Medicine and Therapeutic Radiology. The facility includes treatment rooms, examination rooms and administration offices serving department units such as physiothe rapy, occupational therapy, rehabilitation, electro-physiology, speech therapy, prosthetics as well as cancer clinic.

Architectural services were provided in consortium with Smith, Mill & Ross Architects.

Queens University

Extension to the Agnes Etherington Art Centre

1976, Kingston, Ontario

Kingston General Hospital / Queens University

Fraser Armstrong Patient Centre / Health Sciences Centre

1975, Kingston, Ontario

Cost : $ 5,000,000 (laboratory installation)

 

This new ambulant patient clinic was one of the first buildings constructed as part of the Health Sciences Centre which focuses on the health care and health education programme for the region of the City of Kingston. The centre provides key resources for clinical teaching in the nursing and paramedical personnel programmes. The facilityincludes various clinics such as medical and surgical, diabetic, allergy and immunology, dialysis, orthopedic, dental, pediatrics, psychiatry, ophthalmology, and otolaryngology.

Architectural services were provided in consortium with Smith, Mill & Ross Architects.

Hoffman La Roche
 

1972,

In 1968, the Hoffmann-LaRoche Company decided to expand its activities in Canada and construct an imposing pharmaceutical and chemical complex in Quebec. The program for the first phase of this complex called for the construction of four activity centers to meet the following needs:
  • A building of 230,000 sq.ft. for pharmaceutical production, including quality control laboratories and auxiliary services, packaging, shipping/ receiving and warehousing.
  • A second building of 35,000 sq.ft. for chemical production with quality control laboratories.
  • An administration building of 212,000 sq.ft. following a vertical concept preferred by the Client, that would tower over the other buildings.
  • An energy centre of 40,000 sq.ft. to centralize heating and all other main services.

Hoffmann La Roche Limited

Head offices, cafeteria, manufacturing, packaging and warehousing facilities

1972,

Construction Cost $ 16,000,000

In 1968, the Hoffmann-LaRoche Company decided to expand its activities in Canada and construct an imposing pharmaceutical and chemical complex in Quebec. The program for the first phase of this complex called for the construction of four activity centers to meet the following needs:

- A building of 230,000 sq.ft. for pharmaceutical production, including quality control laboratories and auxiliary services, packaging, shipping/ receiving and warehousing.

- A second building of 35,000 sq.ft. for chemical production with quality control laboratories.

- An administration building of 212,000 sq.ft. following a vertical concept preferred by the Client, that would tower over the other buildings.

- An energy centre of 40,000 sq.ft. to centralize heating and all other main services.

Burnside Hall

Université McGill

1971,

Orr Tower

Queen's University

1971,

Jeffery Hall

Queen's University

1970, Kingston, Ontario

Cost : $ 2,200,000

The new 75,900 sq.ft. mathematics building was built on a compact site located between the resi-dential and the academic areas of the campus. Recognizing the sensitivity of the site, vis-à-vis the volume of the new construction, large functions such as lecture theatres, library, seminar rooms, problem rooms, etc. were constructed underground. A three-storey structure only was built above ground for administrative offices, surrounded by an open plaza for pedestrian circulation and repose. The design features two open wells in the plaza, which provides light and air to the underground level as well as areas for quiet outdoor study and contemplation.

Laurentian Regional High School

1970,

Massey-Vanier High School

1970, Cowansville, Quebec

Cost: $ 7,150,000

 

Gymnasium, auditorium, library, cafeteria, voca-tional facilities, laboratories, classrooms and offices.

McIntyre Medical Centre

McGill University

1966, Montreal, Quebec

Rosemere High School

1965, Rosemere, Quebec

  • 1990-1999 Nicolaidis Fukushima Orton Emmian
  • 2000-2012 NFOE et associés architectes

École Sans Frontière

2012,

Barclay School

2012,

Clinique OVO
 

2009, Montreal, Quebec

York University

Sherman Health Science Research Building

2009, Toronto, Ontario

Construction Cost: $11M

 

Completion: on-going

 

York University required the conversion of a decommissioned ice arena on their Keele Campus to a world-class research facility to accommodate the relocation and expansion of their Vision Research and Kinesiology Research programs. 


The facility will include areas for brain imaging, a virtual reality environment with rotating sphere and tumbling rooms, a visuo-motor assessment, infant visual development, as well as research programs in health promotion and neuroscience.

 

NXL’s full mandate includes programming, design, and contract administration services.

Boehringer Ingelheim Ltd

2007, Laval, Quebec

Construction Cost : $ 23,500,000

 

The project consists of the expansion of the research centre of Boehringer Ingelheim Canada Ltd. in Laval, Quebec. This project includes a lateral expansion of the existing facility on two floors with a partial penthouse housing mechanical and electrical services and a basement floor housing wet utilities and storage areas. It is connected to the existing facility by a full height atrium. The new research centre also includes medicinal chemistry and biology laboratories and a hydrogenation laboratory, an NMR laboratory as well as a bio-safety level 3 laboratory (CL3) suite. In addition to these laboratories, the project will house research offices, a seminar room for 75 people and a warehouse.

 

An initial feasibility study was carried out to validate the location of the expansion on the building site to confirm general program requirements, and to establish planning models.  A general master plan was also prepared to support further short and medium term growth.

 

New laboratory and building planning models were adopted for the expansion. Significant efforts were made to ensure the penetration of daylight and availability of views to all areas of the building. In general, laboratories for 8 to 12 researchers were organized around shared laboratory support areas, all facing onto the linear atrium. Offices for researchers were planned in segregated areas directly across a central corridor from the laboratories, with views to the exterior. The seminar room and common administrative spaces were organised at the west end of the expansion; specialized laboratories towards the east end.

Clinical Research Institute Of Montreal

Research Centre Expansion

2004, Montreal, Quebec

Construction Cost: $ 16,000,000

 

The project consists of the vertical expansion and partial renovation of the Institute’s existing facility on Pine Avenue in Montreal. The existing complex which is composed of three sectors or "blocs"; Bloc des Pins, Bloc Basset, and Bloc St-Urbain.

 

The modifications to Bloc des Pins included the addition of a second and third level plus a mechanical penthouse above an existing one storey clinic. The complete renovation of the clinic is also part of the project. The new second level accommodates research areas related to the clinic, a research library and a common space in an atrium. The new third level houses a specific pathogen free rodent facility. The new mechanical penthouse supports the facilities located in Bloc des Pins and is connected to the Penthouse on the eighth level of Bloc Basset via a mechanical corridor suspended within the atrium and a new mechanical service tower located on an exterior wall in the centre of the complex. The existing ground floor clinic was enlarged by relocating the front wall to the street line thereby enclosing a covered exterior space previously used as a drop-off area for visitors arriving by car. The area of new construction in Bloc des Pins is approximately 3 898 m².

 

The modifications to Bloc Basset include the addition of three new floors of research space plus a mechanical floor with significant roof top mechanical equipment and related screening above the existing 5 level high research facility. The new research space will accommodate future biology and chemistry laboratories, research support areas and conference rooms on each floor. It was necessary for the existing facility to remain operational during the vertical expansion therefore existing mechanical rooftop equipment and exhausts were relocated/rerouted to allow for the erection of the new structure and were then reintegrated into the vertical addition. The area of new construction in Bloc Basset is approximately 2 400 m².

 

The modifications to Bloc St-Urbain include the renovation and horizontal expansion of the main entrance area to create a larger reception area, additional conference facilities, and a direct connection to Bloc des Pins. As with the clinic of Bloc des Pins, the entrance area was enlarged by relocating the front wall to the street line thereby enclosing a covered exterior space previously used as a drop-off area for visitors. The area of new construction in Bloc St-Urbain is approximately 702 m²

 

The architectural treatment of the new additions offers a contemporary image reflecting the innovative nature of the research being carried out within the Institute. The curtainwall facades of the vertical addition to Bloc Basset are intended as a backdrop to the dynamic composition of the additions to Bloc des Pins. The diagonal brick wall of Bloc des Pins was introduced to respect the existing semi-circular tower of Boc Basset and to increase the setback from the adjoining neighbouring residential area. This angled wall also provides a view from a main corridor towards Mount Royal and towards the historical buildings across the street, giving a sense of orientation. The requirement for good environmental control in the animal facility necessitated a large expanse of windowless exterior on the principal façade. The aluminium panel cladding system of this façade was chosen for its light weight as well as for the contemporary nature of the material. The modular lines of the existing building are carried into the new façades. Precast concrete elements in the additions provide visual references to the existing precast building. The large window-like expression at the west end of the main facade softens the impact of the new façade and, at the same time, marks the new entrance to the new clinic.

 

The mechanical service room on top of Bloc des Pins is architecturally integrated into the main façade by projecting the roof over the entire length of the expansion. This element required a unique structural design. The new roof-top mechanical equipment on Bloc Basset, as well as the new externally located mechanical service tower on the north face of Bloc Basset are visually screened by an aluminum paneling system. These dynamic elements contribute to the overall aesthetics of the building.

 

 

GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals

2004, Laval, Quebec

Construction Cost : $ 17,750,000

 

GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals sought to create a new Vaccine Research Centre, with custom-designed modern laboratories that permitted them to regroup all of their research scientists in a single venue in order to promote team synergy and increase the efficiency of their research. The new building is planned to accommodate an employee population of 160 people at full capacity.

 

The project consists of a new 6 455 m² (69,500 sq.ft.) stand-alone building with 1 765 m² (19,000 sq.ft.) of laboratory space and support installations for vaccine research housed in a two-storey over basement structure.

 

The form of the building was conceived to accommodate key program components on minimal floor plates and at economical cost. The project includes research laboratory spaces for: molecular biology, immunology, microbiology, cytofluorometry, media preparation, centrifugation & lyophilization, cell culture, proteomics and protein chemistry, fermentation, pre-development, mass spectrometry, DNA sequencing, RNA studies, 2-D prep lab and several cold and freezer rooms for cell  storage.

 

The building’s contemporary architectural expression reflected in the articulated application of abundant glazing will highlight GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals’s presence on a strategic corner of the Armand-Frappier technological & scientific park in Laval, Quebec.

 

One of the aims of the proposed design was to assure that all employees benefit from natural light in the working environment, hence the integration of large open central laboratories, glazed office spaces and strategically located break and discussion areas at each building floor. Flexibility of laboratory spaces was essential as was the geographical separation of research and administrative functions. The principal planning strategy located all the common spaces to the public west side of the building near the main entrance with a central spine corridor through the laboratory area and laboratory support functions located on the building’s east side. Scientist write-up zones overlook he main labs to foster communication.

Université de Montréal

Jean-Coutu and Marcelle-Coutu Pavilions

2004, Montreal, Quebec

Construction Cost $ 95,300,000

Project realized in consortium with Jodoin Lamarre Pratte/Birtz Bastien/ Lemay associés architectes

The Jean-Coutu and Marcelle-Coutu Pavilions, an important new project of 35 000 m2, dedicated to university teaching and academic research. The Jean-Coutu Pavilion will house the new facilities of the Faculty of Pharmacy, and the Marcelle-Coutu Pavilion will be home to the new Immunology and Cancer Research Institute. The Jean-Coutu Pavilion, housing the Faculty of Pharmacy, is a multi-functional building, organized vertically, with its public functions closely integrated to the agora. The garden level houses classrooms, auditorium, student/ staff amenities, and support spaces. This level is directly linked to the agora. The agora serves as a learning commons, with cluster of seating areas and interaction spaces, with pods providing power and data connections. The ground floor accommodates teaching laboratories, small group teaching rooms, professional training area, and faculty administration offices. The second, third and fourth floors are organized around a more intimate atrium, dedicated to faculty use. The second floor houses faculty offices, and small group teaching spaces. The third level is occupied by research laboratories and offices. The fourth floor, originally intended to be unfinished, is was fitted out for additional research laboratories and offices. 
The Marcelle-Coutu Pavilion is dedicated entirely to the research activities of the Immunology and Cancer Research Institute. It is expected that up to 30 leading Principal Investigators will ultimately be housed in the building. Two floors of the building were initially finished; the balance will be fitted out in response to funding for specific core labs and to ongoing recruitment of researchers. The garden level of this pavilion is occupied by research administration, support areas, and technical services. The upper four floors are planned on an identical model. Two linear atria are located along the principal corridors of the building, and divide the floor plate into three zones. The central zone is dedicated to support and core lab facilities. The outer zones are occupied by generic open laboratories, tissue culture rooms and write-up offices for up to 20 research staff. The linear atria brings natural light to the central core and write-up areas.
The basement level is occupied by shipping, receiving and support spaces, as well as by a significant animal facility. This vivarium, occupying approximately 4 650 m2 (50,000 sq.ft.) in an initial phase, houses a multi-species facility for the Faculty of Pharmacy and a transgenic rodent facility for the research institute. The latter with an initial capacity of 7,500 cages, growing to 18,000 cages, as unfinished space is fitted out in response to research growth. 

 

AstraZeneca

Pharmaceutical Research Laboratories for Pharmacology, Chemistry and Bio-chemistry

2000, Citec St-Laurent, Quebec

Construction Cost : $ 24,000,000

 

This new complex, Astra AB’s first research facility to be built outside of Sweden, carries out basic research for the development of new pharmaceutical products for pain control. The facility has a gross area of 10 350 m², and houses chemistry, bio-chemistry, pharmacology, molecular biology and analytical chemistry laboratories as well as offices, conference rooms, seminar room, cafeteria and support facilities.

 

AstraZeneca’s facility was the first major project to be constructed in the Technoparc St-Laurent and was a major stimulus to its development. NFOE prepared an initial site master plan mapping out expansion potential for AstraZeneca’s site. This master plan was harmonized with the Technoparc’s zoning guidelines, and the project served as a model for design quality for subsequent projects in the park.

 

Design solutions were developed in close collaboration with Astra’s scientific and engineering representatives. A common objective was to achieve an image of a facility that integrated the necessary engineering aspects of science buildings  air intakes, mechanical penthouses, air exhausts, etc. - into a clear and cohesive architectural design.

 

The quality of natural light and the availability of exterior views were very important to the Client and became an early driver of the project’s planning and volumetric organization. Building and laboratory design particularly sought to promote open and luminous spaces, to draw maximum benefit from natural daylighting. Clear glass was used throughout to limit reduction of beneficial light transmission. Open concept planning was employed in both laboratory and administrative areas. Ceilings were not installed to promote a sense of spaciousness in all areas.

Bristol-Myers Squibb

Pharmaceutical Research Institute

1997, Candiac, Quebec

Construction Cost : $ 8,300,000

 

Gross Area : 4 940 m² (53,210 sq.ft.)

 

Bristol Myers Squibb’s primary objectives with this project were the creation of state-of-the-art laboratories within the shell of an existing science building, while maintaining other sectors of the complex in full operation.

 

The alterations to the existing research facility involved extensive removal of the existing interior components leaving only the structural elements.  The building houses fully up-to-date laboratories serviced by totally new mechanical and electrical systems.

 

The facility is dedicated to the Chemical Process Research, Discovery Chemistry and Analytical Research & Development Departments.

 

The project also included a new main entrance to the institute created in the heart of the facility, and areas such as the administration offices, library, conference rooms and cafeteria.

Pratt & Whitney Canada Inc

Plant No. 2

1997, Longueuil, Quebec

Cost	:	$ 13,500,000

 
This recently completed project encompasses the renovation and modernization of over 240,000 sq.ft. Of Pratt & Whitney Plant No. 2, dedicated to aircraft parts manufacture.  The project commenced with an evaluation of building envelope elements (walls and roof), and of options for their replacements with systems to best meet the Owner’s expectations for visual image, durability, thermal performance, weathertightness, and cost effectiveness.  New additions to the complex totaling 17,800 sq.ft. Include a new main entrance, employee cafeteria and kitchen, an offices for engineering and technical staff.  The renovated plant in its final form will integrate all test benches and equipment previously located in separate buildings.

Buildings that have been emptied following consolidation of operations were demolished in favour of new site improvements and landscaping.



Mitel

Semi-conductor manufacturing suite expansion

1996, Bromont, Quebec

Gross area: 3,270 m² (35,200 sq.ft.)

 

Construction Cost : $ 9,600,000

 

This project consisted of a building expansion of 3,270 m² (35,200 sq.ft.) to house Mitel’s new Fab 3 semi-conductor manufacturing suite. Production areas include 613 m² (6,600 sq.ft.) of Class 10 clean rooms (both ballroom and bay arrangements, for processes working to 0.5 geometries), and 175 m² (1,900 sq.ft.) of Class 10,000 chase clean rooms for process tool servicing. 

 

Clean room areas are supported by a basement sub-fab floor for clean air return, process utility distribution (purified water, special gases, process exhaust, scrubbers, etc.) as well as by an interstitial mechanical mezzanine for recirculating fans and duct work distribution to the clean air supply plenum. Primary mechanical and electrical services are located in services rooms flanking the production areas.